Brooks Running Shoes and Apparel | Brooks Running.com
Discussion Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Best Successor to the Discontinued Brooks PureDrift?

Hi all,

I'm over 6'1" and over 200 lbs. I strike with my forefoot first while running and love the wiggle room my toes have in my Brooks PureDrift shoes.

I've run 2 half-marathons in my PureDrifts and have put in ~100 miles of training runs in these shoes. But, I don't think they're going to make it to my next half-marathon in November (the first half in which I'm actually training to attain a certain time).

Here's my problem: these shoes are no longer sold by Brooks. Does anyone know what the "successor" to the PureDrift is? I've particularly attached to the minimalist upper, the "almost not there" weight, and the large toe box.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Best Successor to the Discontinued Brooks PureDrift?

In term of similar weight, you might want to look into a racing flat. I'm eagerly waiting for the Hyperion to come out in June. Its a 10 mm drop compared to the 4mm drop or zero if you take the insole out of the PureDrift. Would you feel the difference with a 10mm drop? It depends. I ran in the old T5 with a 12mm drop, but that shoe was so light and close to the ground that it didn't feel like a high drop. If you like a wide toe box, the Hyperion looks like it may be narrow. But you should check it out anyways. 

Coach

6'1" and 170-175 lbs here - also suprised when the Drift was quickly retired.  Fortunately I bought a few pairs for rotations with 1 new set still in the box. 

To me the Hyperion reminds me of the T7 - hope I am wrong as I also appreciate the ability of my toes to spread out which the T7 definately does not allow with its tighter wrap.  Also the 10mm drop is not likwe the drift which I believe was 4mm with the insole.

I may order a pair of Neuro's which are a 6mm drop though 9oz's as compared to the 6oz Drift.  They look to support a quicker toe off with the split sole design.

The Pain of Regret is far greater than the Pain of Failure.
Valued Contributor

It is truly hard to find a replacement for the Drift.  Neither the Pureflow or the PureCadence have extra wide toe boxes.  I have found that the Launch has plenty of toebox and despite the higher drop, it runs like a minimal shoe.  The Hyperion and the Neuro are options, but you will just have to try them on.

Best of luck.

Christopher

New Contributor

Hey all,

Time to follow up. I've been checking out the shoes everyone has suggested, but I'm hitting a bit of a snag. My local running shop has all but eliminated their stock of minimalist running shoes. From one of the reps today: "Minimalist was really big 5 years ago, but people jumped on the train without bothering to change their form and kept mashing their heels on concrete. They got hurt. So everyone's asking for lots of cushion again. Just look at these Hokas!"

Today, I spent a few hours online to see if there's a "discontinued runnings shoes" warehouse online. I found some Puredrifts, but none in my size. Then I checked eBay. Found my size 13 medium PureDrifts in hi-vis yellow for $65. I bought them on the spot. And I've contacted the seller to see if they have more.

It sucks that the minimal running thing has faded so hard. I started running in minimalist shoes because I *hate* having hot feet. I learned early on that in those shoes, you've got to strike with the forefoot first or flat-footed or you'll get injured. So I was lucky. I didn't have decades of running form that I had to change.

In the end, I'm just kicking the can farther down the road. I don't know what shoe will be my next shoe. But, that'll be another discussion for February/March 2017.

0 Kudos
Coach

The Hyperion is out....

http://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/brooks-hyperion-mens-running-shoes/110234.html?dwvar_110234_color...

The Pain of Regret is far greater than the Pain of Failure.
New Contributor

Grats on finding your size! I run a 14 and they can't be found anywhere reliably.

Looking at PureConnect 4 and Pureflow 4 but... not optimistic.

Why oh why did Brooks kill the Puredrift... could have happily run on that same model until the end of time.

New Contributor

Hi Seth,

From what I read, the PureFlow is nothing like the PureDrift. There's more drop and a much warmer upper.

Note: I'm back on this thread that I started because I did the math and my weekly mileage is going to ensure that my new pair of PureDrifts (probably the last size 13 in the world) will be at their end of life by the time I get to the half-marathon for which I am training.

I'll be looking at the Hyperion next as was suggested.

0 Kudos
Occasional Visitor

Try neuro 2. They are airy feeling, nice and cool but almost a little to cushy. I'm hoping the DNA foam with break in a little. I'm so excited. I almost cried when I tried them on because of all the brooks they are the most similar.
0 Kudos