Discussion Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 18 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Highlighted
Occasional Visitor
Accepted Solution

Choosing healthy meals

I've been running for a couple of years now and have been incorporating healthy eating to lose a little bit of wait. However, I find it more exhausting to actually find a meal to eat, whether it is to replenish my body from my run, or just choose the right meals for the rest of the day. A lot of websties list meals that either take too long to make, or include ingredients that I don't have. Does anyone have suggestions on how to take the pressure off of finding just the right meal or snack? I want to know what I am looking for when I go to eat. Thanks!

Coach

Re: Choosing healthy meals

[ Edited ]

I preach something quite easy.

If one may pick it, pull it, or hook it - eat it.  If it comes without a nutrition sticker chances are it is real food (apple, orange, grape, carrot) so eat it.  Eat all you want.

All else consume with consideration.  Give yourself that meal or day to cheat.  Live and enjoy your life. My food drugs of choice are chocolate and ice cream. 

Cheers.

The Pain of Regret is far greater than the Pain of Failure.
Coach

I agrees it can be very difficult to prepare a healthy meal after running. I make wraps spreading hummus and then adding veggies and avacados. The key is staying away from processed foods.. 

Contributor

I've found that tuna fish wraps/sandwiches are quick to make and provide a nice boost of energy.
I also pre make burritos with egg, turkey sausage, peppers, and cheese. I wrap them in cling-wrap, throw them in the freezer, and toss them in the microwave when I'm ready to eat.
Frequent Contributor

I can also completely relate to this. It's sometimes hard to find the time to prepare a healthly meal when we are working full time, taking care of a kid, and trying to get our weekly mileage in during any spare moment we have. I tend to eat an egg and cheese burrito as my morning meal to help get my protien and have something substancial. I think that a sandwhich or sub can also be a good option when you are in a pinch. Try not to worry about it too much though. Sometimes when we have a big race we are training for or coming up with innately change our eating habits without even knowing so. (AKA the meal you eat the night before a marathon or the morning of).

Contributor

I'm completely embraced the mason jar salads. I'm not one to usually follow trends but there is something about stacking a salad in a mason jar that keeps it easy to pack, store and carry on my commute to work. You can make a batch of them on Sunday and then it's just grab n' go during the week. I'm a big snacker as well, as a matter of fact I just bought a food dehydrador so I can make banana & apple chips, my own potato chips, jerky, fruit leather. I'm a strong advocate for allowing yourself to eat as much as you want as long as it's healthy and good. Go to town on carrots & hummus, bananas, yogurt, I love hard-boiled eggs. Carve out time for food prep on the weekends so it'll be ready... mason jar salads, hard-boiled eggs will keep for a few days. My go to meal is baked salmon & cut squash (zucchini & summer squash) with some lemon, seasoning and garlic in parchment paper. Just throw it in the oven and voila, in less than 30 min you have a delicious meal. There are sooooo many options (I personally love the recipes on Martha Stewart, they are usually quick and easy). But seriously, give the mason jar thing a try!

New Contributor

I have an instagram account that is dedicated to food's I make that are quick, easy, and healthy. It's called @northsoutheatwest if you want to check it out Smiley Happy

New Contributor

I love the Runner's World cookbook!  It's easy to spend a little time on the weekend or evenings cooking a meal or 2, putting it in the 'fridge, and it's there for you, ready to warm up, whenevern you're ready for a meal.

0 Kudos